The Institute’s purpose-built research centre provides researchers, clinical and academic staff, and students with modern health and medical research facilities.
Built by the South Australian Government as part of a major redevelopment of The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, it was officially opened by the Premier, Mr Mike Rann, and Professor Basil S Hetzel AC, in March 2009.
The building is a modern mix of laboratory and clinical research space and its open, flexible laboratory floor plan has been specifically designed to enhance collaboration and interaction among researchers, and to allow for changing research space needs.
The western side of the upper two storeys of the building is used for laboratory space which is linked via a glass atrium to office space on the eastern side. Break-out spaces, balconies and meeting rooms provide dedicated areas for both formal meetings and informal gatherings.
The facility provides 24 hour access to shared office and laboratory areas (individual workstations) and adequate laboratory/bench space. An active external seminar program runs from April to December each year and an active postgraduate seminar program runs from March to December. In addition, staff seminars are held throughout the year.
Many items of equipment located at The Institute have been generously donated by The Hospital Research Foundation.
- Microscope and imaging suite (featuring IVIS Lumina XR, confocal Zeiss LSM700, laser dissection microscope LMD6500)
- Flow cytometry
- Real time PCR
- Specialist immune assay equipment such as BioPlex and Elispot
- Liquid Nitrogen storage facility
- Mass spectrometers
Other features include:
- Fully certified PC2 laboratories
- Smaller specialised rooms in addition to open plan laboratory space.
- Positive pressure rooms
- Wifi and network access for SA Health, University of Adelaide and UniSA
- Seminar and meeting rooms, including a lecture theatre seating up to 80 people.
- Common room for lunch, tea breaks and general ‘catch-ups’ on the ground floor.
- Full kitchen facilities.
- Shower facilities on each level
- A secure (access controlled) bike lock-up/storage area
- Car parking (fees apply)
- Easy access to CBD with good links to public transport including bus stops outside the building and on nearby Port Road.
- Immediately adjacent to vibrant café strip.
- Excellent hospital community childcare centre on TQEH campus
- On site Facility Manager and Research Secretariat.
Research groups interested in using The Institute’s facilities should contact the BHI Facility Manager Kathryn Hudson.