Help with writing scientific and lay abstracts
BHI Scientific Director, Dr Joy Rathjen gave a talk on “Writing Abstracts” on Wednesday 7 July 2021. Download pdf here.
Correct use of names, addresses and email signatures
- always use the full name of the Basil Hetzel Institute for Translational Health Research (BHI) when first referring to the Basil Hetzel Institute.
- always use a capital “T” and write The Queen Elizabeth Hospital and TQEH whenever referring to the hospital. The reason for this is that Queen Elizabeth was the reigning monarch at the time that the hospital was named after her. Listen to this interview with Prof Maddern on ABC radio to hear more (from 6min30sec mark):
- in applications/publications please use the following nomenclature: “Basil Hetzel Institute for Translational Health Research, The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Woodville South, 5011”. You may choose to include the name of your research group (as listed on the BHI website and in the annual Research Report).
- TQEH Administrative Units – if including your Unit/Department on publications/applications please use them as listed in the 2019 BHI Research Report.
- The University of Adelaide – Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences (FHMS) and Adelaide Medical School (not School of Medicine). Please refer to your respective Discipline (eg. Discipline of Medicine, Psychiatry or Surgery).
- please use the postal address for TQEH for ALL of your deliveries as well as on publications, grant applications and any other correspondence. This is 28 Woodville Road, Woodville South, SA 5011
- only use the BHI street address (37a Woodville Road, Woodville South) for giving people instructions on where to find you in person (NOT for deliveries as these must go to TQEH first)
- please use the signature below as a guide to creating your own email signature. You may need to list additional affiliations.
- please include the BHI website and facebook url below your signature
- please include the logo graphic for the BHI where possible (right click and save image in the email signature example below)
First name, last name Qualifications
Basil Hetzel Institute for Translational Health Research
The Queen Elizabeth Hospital DX999999 (use the DX code for your dept/unit)
28 Woodville Road, Woodville South, SA 5011
phone: +61 8 8222 0000
mobile: +61 (0)444 444 444
CRICOS Provider Number 00123M (please provide your University CRICOS number here)
Community Engagement opportunities with The Hospital Research Foundation (THRF) Group
Please contact BHI Facility Manager [email protected] if you’d like to volunteer to participate in monthly radio interviews on CoastFM 88.7 or if you are interested in participating in community presentations arranged by THRF Group.
Creating BHI presentations
Please refer to the section “Posters and Presentations” on the “Working at the BHI” page of the BHI Intranet (see menu to left) – for templates (that include all logos) and information about THRF’s policy for poster cost reimbursements.
Hints and Tips on dealing with the media
For hints and tips on dealing with the media, the Australian Science Media Centre (AusSMC) has some very useful links (hover over the “For Scientists” tab at top right). In particular they have created Science Media Savvy as a fantastic resource for researchers. Spend some time watching the various videos and reading the hints and tips! This website also has advice on using Social Media professionally.
Social Media hints and tips
Kristy Schirmer, Principal Consultant for Zockmelon, gave a presentation to BHI researchers on Wednesday 5 July 2017 titled “Right clicks: communicating research on social media“. Kristy has kindly agreed to share her slides from this presentation. Please be reminded that the BHI Social Media Policy can be found on the BHI Intranet under “Working at the BHI” (see menu to left), and that all staff and students should follow the guidelines for their employer/supervising institution.