Speaker: Dr Michelle Wirthensohn, Horticulture Australia Research Fellow, School of Agriculture Food and Wine, Faculty of Sciences, University of Adelaide
Title: Almonds – Research and other things
Chair: Dr Chandra Kirana, Senior Research Officer, liver Metastasis Research Group, University of Adelaide and BHI, TQEH.
Speaker biography: Michelle is the Program Leader of the National Almond Breeding Program based at the Waite Campus of the University of Adelaide, where she also received her PhD. Since 2015 she has been an Associate Editor of Tree Genetics and Genomes. More information about Michelle can be found on her Researcher Profile.
Her research interests include:
- Plant breeding and improvement for horticultural crop including almonds, eucalyptus, banksia and olives
- Development, evaluation, and commercialisation of new improved almond cultivars.
- Development of a genetic maps for almond.
- Almond nutritive content analysis.
- Biochemistry of plant oils and waxes.
- Reproductive biology including pollination, fruit set and development of ornamental and fruit and nut crops.
- Identification of horticultural crops by DNA fingerprinting