Position: Lead Researcher
Theme: Cardiovascular Disease
Phone: +61 8 8222 6740
UofA: John Beltrame
- Research Focus
- Community Engagement
Professor John Beltrame is the Head of the Discipline of Medicine at The Queen Elizabeth Hospital. He is an academic cardiologist with active research, clinical and teaching roles.
His international reputation and expertise focuses on coronary vascular disorders. However, in recent years he has broadened his focus to include:
- peripheral artery disease (in collaboration with the Vascular Surgical Research Group led by Professor Rob Fitridge)
- molecular mechanisms in vascular disorders (in collaboration with Dr David Wilson)
- gender disparities in cardiovascular disorders
- depression (in collaboration with Dr Geoff Schrader)
- cardiovascular imaging and health service delivery, with projects such as CADOSA (Coronary Angiogram Database of South Australia).
His collaborative studies not only involve local hospitals and institutions but also international institutions in the United States, Holland, Italy and Japan.
Prof Beltrame is focused on translational research, an approach that aims to ensure medical research findings are usable and applicable to patients as quickly as possible. This involves a combination of different types of research:
- Firstly, integrated laboratory and clinical research or ‘bench to beside’ research which includes discoveries generated in the laboratory and then developed in clinical trials.
- Secondly, exploring ways of applying evidence-based medicine, recommendations or guidelines to clinical practice. This type of research yields knowledge about real-world settings.
Prof Beltrame undertakes basic, clinical and epidemiological studies into cardiovascular disorders with the objective of improving the health of these patiently. Currently the group focuses on coronary heart disease and peripheral artery disease, although many principles are applicable to other vascular disorders.
The research group includes both physicians and medical scientists located at the Basil Hetzel Institute, the University of Adelaide Medical School and The Queen Elizabeth Hospital. The integrative nature of the group provides a unique opportunity to ensure that innovations are translated from bench to bedside to health outcome, as well as the reverse.
- Bachelor of Science (University of Adelaide, 29th April 1981)
- Bachelor of Medicine (Flinders University, 13th April 1986)
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (4th December 1992)
- Doctor of Philosophy in Medicine (University of Adelaide, 13th April 2000)
1992 – present: Royal Australasian College of Physicians
1992 – present: The Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand
1992 – present: South Australian Italian Medical Association
1995 – present: The Queen Elizabeth Hospital Medical Staff Society
1998 – 99: The Massachusetts Medical Society
2003 – present: Fellow of the European Society of Cardiology
2004 – present: Fellow of the American College of Cardiology
2005 – present: Fellow of the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand
2007 – present: International Society for Heart Research
2009 – present: American Heart Association (Professional Member)
2012 – present: Fellow of the American Heart Association
- Working Group on Coronary Pathophysiology and Microcirculation of the European Society of Cardiology Member (2006 – present)
- American Heart Association Quality Care Outcomes and Research Council, International Representative for the Leadership Committee (2012 – present)
- International Consortium for Health Outcome Measurement (ICHOM) Coronary Artery Disease Working Group Member (2013 – 2014)
- International Consortium for Health Outcome Measurement (ICHOM) Coronary Artery Disease Steering Committee Member (2014 – present)
- American Heart Association Quality of Care and Outcomes Research Scientific Sessions 2013 – Faculty Member Coronary Artery Vasospastic Angina Summit – Co-Chair (2013)
- Coronary Vasomotion Disorders International Study (COVADIS) Group – Co-founder & Co-chair (2013- present)
Positions held in the last 10 years
- 2004 – present: Fellow of the American College of Cardiology
- 2005 – present: Fellow of the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand
- 2007 – present: International Society for Heart Research
- 2008 – 2010 Associate Professor in Medicine The University of Adelaide,
- (Cardiology) The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Adelaide.
- 2009 – present: American Heart Association (Professional Member)
- 2010 – present: Michell Professor of Medicine The University of Adelaide,
- (Discipline of Medicine) The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Adelaide.
- 2012 – present: Cardiology Academic Lead Central Adelaide Local Health Network (CALHN)
- 2012 – present: Fellow of the American Heart Association
|Dr Kanchani Rajopadhyaya||+61 8 8222 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Corry Tavella||+61 8 8133 email@example.com|
|Dr Rosanna Tavella||+61 8 8133 firstname.lastname@example.org|
Professor John Beltrame is available to supervise new Honours or PhD students dependent on their academic transcript.
Current PhD students
2009 – present: Tracy Air PhD Doctorate (part-time)
2010 – present: Benjamin Reddi
2011 – present: David DiFiore
2012 – present: Sivabaskari Pasupathy
2012 – present: Sam Sidharata
2013 – present: Abdul Rauf Sheikh
2013 – present: Victor Lamin
Recent PhD completions
2001-2004 Stuart Turner PhD Doctorate (conferred 2006)
2005-2009 Christine Ball PhD Doctorate (conferred 2010)
2005-2010 Natalie Cutri PhD Doctorate (conferred 2011)
2006-2012 Victoria Kopetz PhD Doctorate (conferred 2012)
2006-2011 Rosanna Tavella PhD Doctorate (conferred 2012)
2006-2010 Scott Copley PhD Doctorate (conferred 2010)
2006-2008 Luan Huynh MD (conferred)
2008-2014 Rishi Puri PhD Doctorate (qualified 2014)
2009-2013 Kanchani Rajopadhyaya PhD Doctorate (conferred 2013)
2009-2013 Rachel Dreyer PhD Doctorate (conferred 2013)
2010-2013 Yann Chan PhD Doctorate (conferred 2013)
2010-2012 David Calvanese PhD Doctorate (withdrawn)
2010-2015 Amenah Jaghoori PhD Doctorate (conferred 2015)