***We are no longer accepting work experience applications for 2024. Applications are being reviewed and applicants will hear back shortly.***

COVID-19 vaccination is an essential requirement under the Emergency Management (Healthcare Setting Workers Vaccination) (COVID-19) Directions 2021 to work in SA Health/health care setting. TQEH Research Facility, commonly referred to as the Basil Hetzel Institute (BHI), is a SA Health building. Students must provide a satisfactory National Police Check and abide by SA Health vaccination requirements.

Depending on availability, the Basil Hetzel Institute for Translational Health Research offers unpaid work experience to South Australian Secondary Students in years 10-12. A work experience placement provides an opportunity to learn about the fundamentals of health and medical research. Students will be placed with one or more hospital department research teams, you will work with University students, researchers, doctors and other clinicians.

Limited positions are available, and they are usually allocated by mid February, so we encourage you to contact us early in the year, even if your designated placement won’t occur until late in the year. Being offered a placement depends on available opportunities, but also any experience you may have had and your aptitude for the role. Please indicate if you have a specific interest. Work experience applications are assessed on a case-by-case basis, usually by the manager of the relevant research area. 

Placements are based at The Basil Hetzel Institute, part of The Queen Elizabeth Hospital campus in Woodville, South Australia. You will be required to wear fully enclosed shoes when in the laboratories, but all other safety equipment and clothing will be provided. Secondary student work experience placements are usually 2-5 days in length around the same week.

To register your interest, all students must complete the following form:

Once you are accepted for a work experience position we will contact you to confirm your placement and then require the DECD or school “workplace learning agreement form” to be completed.

This procedure is not applicable to tertiary students seeking research placements.

  • If you are seeking a research or practical laboratory placement as part of your degree, please contact your course lecturer.
  • Prospective Vacation scholars should review our scholarship and project opportunities.

Please contact Imogen Ball ([email protected]) if you have any queries.